Labor and Employment Law in NJ, NYC and PA
Most every business—local or global—has at least two core attributes in common: employers and employees. As a result, every business is touched by some aspect of employment law. We understand that the success of your business depends not only on the implementation of a sound strategic vision, but, critically, it depends equally on a productive work force no matter the size. As an employee, we know that you need to be assured that your legal rights are protected every day you do your job. We provide counseling to help you navigate state, federal labor, discrimination, wage and hour laws and employee benefits to help you proactively maintain positive relationships and workplace harmony, thereby reducing the potential for disputes and workplace disruption.
The employer/employee relationship has always been highly regulated, but recently the enactment of complex laws and the issuance of far-reaching court decisions is increasing and oversight and enforcement actions are becoming more commonplace--making it that much more critical that the advice and guidance you receive is accurate and on target. Wilentz labor and employment law attorneys have the requisite experience to provide individually tailored counsel and guide you on the following legal issues to keep you focused on the smooth operation of your business:
- Employee handbook and policy drafting
- Data privacy and BYOD issues
- Employee benefits including pensions, 401k savings plans, profit-sharing plans
- Family and medical leave, disability, workers' compensation)
- Employment agreements, restrictive covenants and severance agreements
- Union contracts/collective bargaining agreements
- Disabilities/reasonable accommodation
- Diversity, harassment and anti-discrimination training
Working together, we can leverage our experience to help you minimize the risk of serious complaints from employees. However, employer/employee nirvana is often difficult to achieve despite proper advance planning and the best of intentions. Employers and employees are human, and human error is an ever-present reality. When reality strikes, our team can help whether assistance takes the form of negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trial and appellate litigation.
- Wrongful discharge; failure to hire/promote
- Discrimination (age, ancestry, disability, genetic traits, liability for service in the armed forces, marital status, domestic partnership, civil union status, national origin, nationality, pregnancy, race/color, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression)
- Sexual harassment
- Whistleblower claims
- Retaliation claims
- Employment contract disputes
- Wage and hour disputes
Our attorneys are well known for their knowledge in all aspects of labor and employment law in NJ and are frequent lecturers and authors on labor and employment law topics affecting the business community. The complex issues surrounding this area of law require concentrated effort and expertise to keep abreast of day-to-day developments. The experience of our employment attorneys in New Jersey, combined with our firm's resources, enable us to be at the forefront of these issues.
The chair of our Employment Law Team, Maureen S. Binetti, is the immediate past Co-chair of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association, and serves as a Bencher for the Sidney Reitman Labor and Employment Law Inn of Court. She is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney, frequently serves as a court-appointed and private mediator of employment disputes, and has been performing all types of employment investigations for more than 15 years.
Articles & Publications:
- Hurricane Sandy Wage and Hour Information
- New Jersey Appellate Division Clarifies Law on Front Pay Awards in Discrimination Cases
- Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act
- Changes in Employment Law: Piecing Together a Strategy