Daniel R. Lapinski - New Jersey Mass Tort Lawyer
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 1999
B.A., Rutgers University, 1990
Mr. Daniel R. Lapinski is a Shareholder in the Mass Tort and Class Actions group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A. Mr. Lapinski focuses his practice on mass tort litigation and complex consumer actions. For over 15 years, he has been fighting for the rights of clients in mass tort cases, including victims who have been harmed by dangerous pharmaceutical products and defective medical devices. As a former surgical representative for a major medical device manufacturer, Mr. Lapinski brings a unique perspective and understanding not only of the law, but the products and injuries that can be associated with those products. Recognizing that the injured person may be often unaware that the injury was actually caused by a drug or medical device, he is dedicated to advancing his clients’ individual understanding of the issues they must confront, and to helping them obtain the best possible result in the face of their injury.
“Mass Tort” is the name commonly given to lawsuits involving hundreds of cases against the manufacturer of a single drug or medical device. Because of their common characteristics, these cases generally result in the transfer and coordination of all individual cases to a single court and a single judge. Mr. Lapinski’s active participation in mass tort cases after coordination enables him to have an instrumental voice in the litigation and effectively advise his clients, even when their cases have been transferred to courts in different parts of the country.
Mr. Lapinski serves on Plaintiffs’ Steering Committees and plays an active role in many ongoing mass torts, including:
- In re Proton-Pump Inhibitor Prods. Liab. Litig. (No. II), pending in United States District Court for the District of New Jersey;
- In re Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Prods. Liab. Litig., pending in United States District Court for the District of New Jersey;
- In re Zimmer NexGen Knee Implant Prods. Liab. Litig., pending in United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois;
- In re Mirena Litigation, pending in the Superior Court of New Jersey; and
- In re DePuy ASR Hip Implants Litigation, pending in the Superior Court of New Jersey.
In connection with his extensive experience in complex consumer actions, Mr. Lapinski has successfully argued federal preemption issues before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and continues to be or has been actively involved in noteworthy cases, including:
- DeMarco v. AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an ongoing class action pending in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, wherein the Court appointed Mr. Lapinski co-lead counsel for the class. The consolidated cases allege that defendant’s negligence caused a massive fire that destroyed an entire apartment building at the residential complex known as Avalon at Edgewater;
- D.C.G. & T., et al., v. Knight, et al., a $12 million settlement of a shareholder derivative action to the interests of pre-merger Apple REIT Nine, Inc. in connection with the merger of two other Apple REITs into Apple REIT Nine;
- In re Ford Explorer Cases, a California class action that was settled on behalf of nearly one million vehicle owners residing in California, Connecticut, Illinois and Texas following 50 days of trial in Sacramento, California;
- Alexander v. Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a $30 million class settlement on behalf of California purchasers of a pharmaceutical product alleged to have been falsely and deceptively advertised;
- Slaughter v. Unilever United States, Inc., a nationwide settlement on behalf of a class of consumers who purchased Super Shots, a fruit blend product deceptively alleged to help control blood pressure.
Mr. Lapinski is a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ), the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ), and the New Jersey State Bar Association. He has been selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars for 2011 and New Jersey Super Lawyers® since 2013.
Super Lawyers is published by Thomson Reuters. A description of their selection process can be found in the respective link above. The aforementioned organization is a private peer review organization, not a court specific public certification vehicle. No aspect of this advertisement has been submitted to or approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Lapinski’s active participation in both mass tort and class action litigations have made him a sought-after speaker at both the local and national level. He has presented on the topic of class actions at the New Jersey State Bar annual conference, served as a panelist for the State Bar’s class action committee, presented on mass tort issues for both Harris Martin Publishing and the American Association of Justice, and has been a regular speaker at NJAJ’s Annual Boardwalk Seminar.
In addition to his commitment to law, Mr. Lapinski is committed to his family – his wife Denise and three children. He has coached various youth baseball and soccer teams, and has served as a board member for the MYAA Baseball program, the Shawnee High School Wrestling Booster Club, and his local homeowners association.
Area of Emphasis:
Drug/Medical Device Litigation