Redevelopment Attorneys in NJ
As the state plan is implemented, more and more real estate projects are proceeding as redevelopment of urban and other previously developed sites. Our attorneys in NJ are well situated to provide service in such projects. For more than 20 years, we have regularly provided our redeveloper and public redevelopment entity clients throughout New Jersey with access to many different types of law that are involved in redevelopment projects. Our experience puts us in an ideal position to anticipate and avoid legal problems as our clients proceed to face the challenges that redevelopment often involves.
Suburban and urban redevelopment, planning and implementation includes:
- Property acquisition (voluntary and condemnation)
- Relocation Declaring areas to be "in need of redevelopment" or "in need of rehabilitation"
- Preparing redevelopment plans for such areas
- Obtaining necessary zoning and other governmental approvals
- Negotiating and drafting redevelopment and tax abatement agreements
- Advising clients with respect to governmental financing and grant agreements and other forms of tax exempt and taxable financing (both public and private)
- Dispute resolution in the context of litigation, arbitrations and mediations that arise in connection with redevelopment projects
Common Redevelopment Projects
Attorneys from practice areas relevant to redevelopment operate as part of a cross-disciplinary team designed to be responsive to the many types of legal issues that arise in a redevelopment project. These services include (click on links to see the descriptions of the individual teams that participate in redevelopment projects):
• Redevelopment/Municipal: Area in Need of Redevelopment Designations, Preparation of Redevelopment Plans, Tax Abatement Agreements (See Redevelopment Team)
• Land Use: General Development Plans, Development Approvals and Permits, Redevelopment Plans (See Land Use/Environmental Team)
• Litigation: Redevelopment Agreement Disputes, Condemnation, Tax Appeals, Bankruptcy Matters (See Commercial Litigation Team)
• Governmental Relations: Interface with Governmental Entities such as: various Redevelopment Entities, New Jersey Housing Mortgage Finance Agency, Local Finance Board, Department of Community Affairs, Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (See Bonding and Commercial Real Estate Teams)
• Environmental: Brownfields, Waterfront Development Permits, Wetlands, Rulings & Permits, CAFRA, ISRA, LSRP and SRRA (See Land Use/Environmental Team)
• Public Finance: Tax Exempt and Taxable Bonding, Tax Increment Financing through Redevelopment Area Bond Financing Law (See Public Finance Team)
• Real Estate and Financial Services: Purchase and Sale Agreements, Title Review, Conveyancing (See Commercial Real Estate Team)
• Corporate: Creation of Entities for Redevelopment Projects
Representative Redevelopment Projects
Our attorneys have experience working on redevelopment projects in many New Jersey municipalities, including Aberdeen, Asbury Park, Atlantic City, Camden, Carteret, Collingswood, Elizabeth, East Orange, Ewing, Fanwood, Franklin, Hoboken, Jersey City, Linden, New Brunswick, Montclair, Newark, Orange, Perth Amboy, South Amboy, South Orange, Trenton, West New York, Verona, Wildwood, and Woodbridge.
Our Redevelopment Attorneys in NJ
Many redevelopment law team members are noted in the field and are often called upon to lecture for entities such as the Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) and at meetings of industry and trade organizations, such as the New Jersey Builders Association, American Planning Association, New Jersey Future Redevelopment Conference, New Jersey Bar Association, National Association of Industry and Office Properties (NAIOP), the Consultors of Real Estate, Urban Land Institute, and a training program for housing authority commissioners and executive directors sponsored by Rutgers University and the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs.