Todd E. Lehder - Commercial Real Estate Attorney
J.D., Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 1997
B.A., St. Lawrence University, 1994
Todd Lehder is a hands-on, thorough and versatile commercial real estate lawyer. For nearly two decades, his clients have benefited from his diverse experience with acquisitions, sales, development, investment, financing and leasing transactions. Counted among his clients are professional developers, real estate investors, lenders and property management companies as well as borrowers, landlords and tenants.
As a Shareholder on the Commercial Real Estate Team, Mr. Lehder handles complex commercial real estate transactions, with a concentration on acquisitions and sales, leasing, commercial lending, joint ventures and loan workouts. He built his real estate practice—literally from the ground up—representing individuals and small companies, handling wide-ranging legal issues implicated in an extensive variety of office, industrial, retail, and residential projects. This solid foundation has enabled Mr. Lehder to bring a large breadth of knowledge to his representation of larger commercial clients and institutions, while still affording each matter the personal attention that earned the trust of his long-standing clients over many years.
Because of the experience he has gained on all sides of various types of commercial real estate transactions, Mr. Lehder is skilled at formulating creative solutions to the myriad problems that arise in these transactions. He can add value to projects with “outside the box” thinking, without losing focus on the efficient achievement of his client's business objectives.
Recent notable representations include:
- Formation of a 2015 joint venture for the acquisition of a 21-acre mixed use property portfolio; including 10 commercial buildings and opportunities for additional commercial and retail development. Work involved negotiating terms for the acquisition, the joint venture agreement and an acquisition loan in excess of $18 million.
- Acquisition and financing of a mid-sized multifamily apartment in northern New Jersey acquired from a distressed family partnership.
- Recapitalization of a large highly visible office property with a high vacancy rate. Work involved significant negotiation of an intricate lease agreement representing one third of the building resulting in the transformation of an underperforming asset into a high-value investment for the client.
- Mortgage refinancing of a client’s $30 million property portfolio which involved often hostile negotiation among multiple vendors and joint venture partners to achieve the client’s business and financial objectives.
- Successful, time-sensitive acquisition of a marina property destroyed by Hurricane Sandy while under contract. The transaction required careful coordination of environmental, business and real estate issues, and resulted in a timely closing for the seasonal business.
- Representation of a national real estate investment group to solicit bids and sell a large fully approved brownfield site for residential redevelopment.
- Negotiation and structuring of two large deeds in lieu transactions involving real estate portfolios each valued in excess of $100 million. These transactions included managing multiple title transfers in a series of closings over several years in order to achieve the client’s strategic objectives.
Transactions smaller in scope and singular in purpose can still be fraught with complications. Mr. Lehder’s goal is to guide and assist every client to achieve their individual goals, despite any roadblocks that may get thrown into the path; for example,
- Successful acquisition of an office building by a family-owned entity that was conditioned on both modifications of existing leases and negotiation of leases with new tenants.
- Represented a family partnership (forced into receivership during contract negotiations) on the sale of a contaminated industrial site for redevelopment.
- Acquisition of raw land resulting from destruction of a residential condominium, achieved through negotiation with both the association and former condominium owners in order to achieve the client’s goal of obtaining the property for development.
- Navigated the acquisition of an office building by a small company notwithstanding the discovery and necessary cleanup of hidden environmental contamination, complicating an otherwise straightforward purchase transaction.
- Worked with small real estate investor to acquire and finance a mid-sized, multi-tenant office building in northern New Jersey from a large real estate developer.
Mr. Lehder gives back to his local community through coaching local sports and he has served on the Fair Haven Zoning Board of Adjustment since 2006. Mr. Lehder was recently invited to lead a roundtable discussion on leasing issues at the International Council of Shopping Centers. He was the moderator and a speaker at a seminar entitled, “An Introduction to Commercial Leasing” sponsored by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, a lecturer at a Lorman Education Services seminar titled “Real Estate Development from Beginning to End in New Jersey,” and has also been a featured speaker at the annual Atlantic Builders Convention. Mr. Lehder received NJBIZ’s 2010 Forty Under 40 award and was selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Editions from 2006 through 2012. Super Lawyers is published by Thomson Reuters. A description of their selection process can be found in the respective link above. The aforementioned organization is a private peer review organization, not court specific public certification vehicles. No aspect of this advertisement has been submitted to or approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Area of Emphasis:
Commercial Real Estate Transactions
Real Estate Financing