Mirena is a contraceptive, manufactured by Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, which is inserted by a healthcare professional into the uterus in order to prevent pregnancy. Once the device is implanted into the woman, it is expected to work for five years. However, there have been many cases where the device disperses from its original location and causes serious conditions. Often times, after 5 years the Mirena IUD device can only be located and removed through a surgical procedure. The movement of the plastic Mirena device has been known to cause life-threatening and devastating side effects like infertility. Some extreme cases have even required women to get a complete hysterectomy because the damages were so severe.
Mirena IUD Side Effects
- Abscesses or infection
- Embedment in the uterus
- Erosion of adjacent areas such as vagina
- Expulsion of the Mirena IUD
- Inflammation of the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity and internal organs
- Intestinal perforation or obstruction
- Migration of the IUD outside the uterus
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Perforation of the Uterine Wall
- Surgery to remove Mirena IUD
If you have experienced any of the above serious side effects from using Mirena IUD, financial compensation may be available. Contact us to speak with a personal injury attorney today.