Brian J. Molloy is President and Managing Director of Wilentz, charged with maintaining the reputation and legacy of one of New Jersey’s oldest and most respected law firms. It is a responsibility that he takes seriously, understanding that providing quality legal work and exceptional value in every case, and for every client, should drive law firm decision making: “At Wilentz, our mantra is exceptional client service, and it is my job to instill in our lawyers, and every member of our collective firm team, an unparalleled commitment to that ideal.”
It is perhaps this conviction that gives Mr. Molloy a perceptible edge in advising clients in professional negligence cases. For over 35 years, he has successfully represented clients in complex commercial litigation cases, both in civil trials and arbitration proceedings, and is keenly aware of the choices lawyers must make when balancing clients’ litigation and business goals. His reputation as an astute litigator has engendered the trust and engagement by law firms with both regional and national practices to choose Mr. Molloy to represent them in professional negligence cases, many of them more than once.
His practice extends beyond legal malpractice to matters involving professional ethics, billing disputes and issues of fiduciary duty. But no matter the type of case, the primary strategic focus is on achieving an early and favorable resolution for the client. Because professional negligence cases are often more complex than they appear, Mr. Molloy’s experience in conducting detailed and focused depositions, along with appropriate motion practice work to expose the weaknesses in the plaintiff’s case, sets the stage for successful dispositive motions. He is among the select few in the profession who have been invited to become a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an organization that recognizes the very best trial lawyers from the United States and Canada, and he has also been Certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
In addition to his role of President and Managing Director, Mr. Molloy also serves as the firm’s Co-Chair of the Appellate Practice Group. Prior to assuming the Managing Director's role, he was Chair of the Commercial Litigation Group. Mr. Molloy is also President of a wholly-owned subsidiary of the law firm providing sports management services to professional baseball athletes.
Mr. Molloy is equally committed to playing a leadership role in his community, having served on the Westfield Zoning Board of Adjustment, President and Trustee of the Westfield College Men’s Club, Trustee of the Westfield High School Boosters Association, and coached soccer and baseball teams for his two children.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Certified, Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2001-2019 and is listed in the practice areas of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice Law-Defendants, and Appellate Practice
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers 2005-2018
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2018, Litigation: General Commercial
- Recipient of Middlesex County Bar Association's Chancery Practice Award, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Former Chair of Ethics Committee
- Appointed Special Ethics Master by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Secured dismissal of a lawsuit against a law firm alleged to have aided and abetted a whistleblower in obtaining documents used in a False Claims Act case; affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment for law firm in legal malpractice action alleging fraud and aiding and abetting the client to breach fiduciary obligations to plaintiff; United States District Court decision affirmed by Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Summary judgment for law firm on claims of negligence and conflict of interest with damages alleged in excess of $10 million; affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment for law firm in professional negligence case based on successful challenge to plaintiff’s expert report as “net” opinion.
- Summary judgment for law firm in a professional negligence case, including allegations of fraud.
- Summary judgment for law firm in legal malpractice case based on the absence of proximate causation.
- Jury verdict for law firm on a professional negligence claim arising out of a matrimonial action.
- Judgment for law firm following 5-week bench trial on claims of professional negligence and fraud.
Complex Commercial Disputes
- Jury verdict for world class golf course in defense of allegations of breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing in the manner and method of membership sales; judgment in favor of the golf course on its counterclaim, including an award of counsel fees and costs.
- Judgment following four week arbitration proceeding for former president and CEO of multi-national company who obtained both contract benefits and long-term incentive awards.
- Representation of real estate developers in litigation involving large redevelopment projects in Bayonne and Jersey City.
Also of Interest
- March 19, 201943 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- August 15, 2018Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers
- May 4, 2018Wilentz Lawyers and Practices Earn Top Rankings from Chambers USA 2018
- March 29, 201843 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists