Darren M. Gelber chairs the Criminal Law Team and has been a shareholder at Wilentz since 2003. Darren devotes his practice to criminal law, white collar crime and regulatory litigation, defending clients in federal, state, municipal and administrative courts in connection with charges and claims that range from homicide and street crimes to securities fraud, theft and complex white collar crimes.
Darren’s practice extends into the healthcare field, where he represents physicians, dentists, pharmacists and other licensed professionals in criminal matters, administrative hearings, audits, and regulatory litigation throughout, including Medicaid/Medicare fraud investigations and defense, and administration actions involving discipline and licensing of professionals.
Darren also represents individuals and companies and their officers and directors in subpoena compliance and in connection with criminal and administrative investigations. He is widely regarded for his ability to develop systems, procedures and policies that appropriately address potential liabilities that may create criminal liability for an individual or company.
As a trial lawyer for more than 20 years, Darren has managed high-profile cases and is an accomplished appellate lawyer. Darren has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Criminal Trial Attorney since 2006 and is one of just 250 trial lawyers in New Jersey holding such certification. He is a past-President of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, and has received the Middlesex County Bar Association’s Criminal Practice Attorney of the Year award, and numerous other honors and distinctions. He has also consistently been selected for inclusion in the New Jersey Super Lawyers and New Jersey Best Lawyers lists for criminal defense.
Before entering private practice, Darren served as an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx, NY where he acquired extensive trial experience prosecuting various criminal matters and led homicide grand jury investigations.
Darren is an active member of the Bar. He has served on several New Jersey Supreme Court committees and is Chair of the District IX Fee Arbitration Committee. He is a member of the Middlesex and Monmouth County Bar Associations, and the New Jersey State Bar Association, where he has served as a member of the Criminal Practice Committee, and is a member of the Editorial Board of New Jersey Lawyer Magazine. He lectures frequently on issues related to criminal practice, ethical and technology issues involving attorneys.
- Won an appeal in Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division, securing a civil reservation that protected his client from financial ruin, in the wake of a tragic case involving the death of an infant in the client’s care.
- Won a significant arbitration award on behalf of a physician in a compensation dispute with his hospital employer.
- Won acquittal for truck-driver client who faced charges related to accidental death of pedestrian.
- Secured pre-trial dismissal of charges against public school teacher in alleged counterfeiting case.
- Negotiated countless favorable pleas on behalf of clients facing serious criminal charges in state and federal court.
Also of Interest
- September 21, 2018 New Jersey Supreme Court Appoints Darren Gelber as Chair of District IX Fee Arbitration Committee
- August 15, 2018 Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers
- March 29, 2018 44 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- August 14, 2017 Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers and 7 Lawyers of the Year