Barry A. Cooke is a shareholder on the Personal Injury Team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. in the firm’s Monmouth County office located in Eatontown, NJ. Mr. Cooke is a seasoned, skilled and experienced litigator in both the Superior Court of New Jersey and the New Jersey Workers' Compensation Court. He provides personalized dedicated representation of injured victims, and has defended clients in superior and municipal courts throughout the State of New Jersey on a variety of criminal and motor vehicle charges. In addition, Mr. Cooke represents numerous small businesses from start-up to merger/sale.
In 1993, Mr. Cooke successfully litigated a personal injury claim resulting in the ninth largest verdict awarded in the State of New Jersey. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a group of trial lawyers in the country who have achieved a verdict in the amount of $1,000,000.00 or more.
Mr. Cooke is a member of the New Jersey Trial Lawyers Association and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. He is also a member of Who’s Who In Executives and Professionals and has been selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers.
Mr. Cooke has dedicated a significant portion of his professional career to public service. He has and continues to serve in the following public sector positions:
- Elected official Neptune Township governing body
- Police commissioner of Township of Neptune
- Member Neptune Township Planning Board
- General Counsel to Neptune Township Regional Sewerage Authority
- Public Defender for Borough of Avon-by-the-Sea
- Municipal Attorney for Borough of Avon-by-the-Sea
- School Board Attorney for Hudson and Essex County charter school
- Instructor of Paralegal Studies
Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
- Won a $9.3 Million verdict for a 43-year old woman who suffered abdominal injuries and a fractured pelvis as a result of a head-on collision
- Recovered $2.3 Million for a 32-year old machine operator who underwent cervical and lumbar surgery for injuries sustained when his van was struck by a garbage truck
- Secured a $1.3 Million recovery for a 58-year old man who required a cervical fusion as a result of fracturing his neck when his car was struck in the rear by another car
- Recovered $925,000 for a 55-year old man who underwent lumbar surgery and knee arthroscopic surgery after his car was struck at an intersection
- Secured $635,000 in recoveries for a 50-year old woman who suffered neck and spinal injuries in addition to post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of her car being struck in the rear by another car
- Recovered $500,000 for a 31-year old man who suffered a lacerated spleen requiring embolization as a result of a side swipe auto accident
- Secured a $475,000 recovery for a 61-year old man who underwent shoulder surgery for injuries sustained after a driver crashed into the side of his car at an intersection
Motorcycle Accident Claim
- Secured a $1.2 Million recovery for motorcyclist who sustained trauma to his leg after being struck at a controlled intersection
Pedestrian Auto Accident Claim
- Won $325,000 in recoveries for a 70-year old pedestrian who suffered a fractured his ankle when he was struck by a car
Products Liability Claim
- Secured a $180,000 recovery for a 32-year old shearing machine operator who sustained a crush injury to two fingers while operating the machine
Medical Malpractice Claims
- Won a $275,000 verdict for a mother who sustained injuries from a failed episiotomy after giving birth to her child
- Recovered $300,000 for a 48-year old man who required a second hip replacement after his physician failed to properly perform the initial surgery
- Recovered $325,000 for a 54-year old man who suffered a perforated bowel during lumbar surgery
- Secured $250,000 for a woman who suffered loss of bone density as a result of over-prescribed steroids during fertility treatment
- Won total disability benefits for a sheriff’s officer who suffered a mental breakdown after he was interrogated by his superior officers
- Won total disability benefits for a railroad worker who suffered injuries to his shoulder and ulnar nerve after falling from a stationary railcar due to excessive grease
- Won a $1.3 Million lump sum settlement and annuity payments for the family of a 61-year old man who died as a result of falling from an elevated racking system on the job
Results achieved in prior matters are not meant to be a guarantee of success as the facts and legal circumstances vary from matter to matter.
When not in the court room, Mr. Cooke enjoys carpentry and remodeling homes, golf, sailing and classic car collection.