Edward T. Kole chairs the Business and Commercial Litigation department and is a member of the Management Committee at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. with 30 years of experience in the practice of complex corporate and commercial litigation. Mr. Kole is an accomplished business litigator and trial lawyer, having handled commercial disputes on behalf of public and private companies in New Jersey and across the nation, including matters venued in California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas. In addition to the relationships he forges and maintains with each of his individual business clients, he is well known and regarded among the New Jersey state and federal judiciary as a result of his experience in the courtroom and his leadership positions within the Federal and New Jersey Bar Associations.
Mr. Kole is the Immediate Past President of the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey. He is a past chair of the Business and Commercial Litigation Committee, as well as the Federal Practice and Procedure Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, and previously served as a member of the Appellate Practice Committee. Mr. Kole is a member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee, and co-chair of the Pro Bono Committee, for the United States District Court of New Jersey. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in North America, vice-chair of its State Committee and a member of its Heritage Committee. He is also a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Mr. Kole firmly believes that it is not enough to be a good lawyer, but that a commitment to elevating the practice of law and dedication to the legal community is his responsibility. That sense of obligation to his profession, his colleagues and the firm directly translates to the level of service each of his clients receives.
Mr. Kole is recognized as a leading lawyer in his field by Chambers USA since 2016. In 2020, Chambers sources laud his "substantial experience" handling disputes "as part of a comprehensive civil litigation practice." In addition, Mr. Kole has been included in Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and New Jersey Super Lawyers since its inception in 2005.
Mr. Kole’s practice includes the representation of large and medium sized businesses and corporations at every level of state and federal courts, involving a myriad of legal issues including: complex contract disputes; restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation; securities and derivative actions; as well as litigation concerning business, shareholder/partnership and franchise disputes. Mr. Kole has also been appointed to serve as a court appointed mediator, discovery master and special agent.
His experience as a litigator and his commitment to the New Jersey legal community has made Mr. Kole a sought after lecturer on federal and appellate practice, restrictive covenant, trade secret litigation, and shareholder disputes. He has conducted and moderated numerous seminars for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Kole was a judicial intern to the Honorable Leonard I. Garth, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, and to the Honorable Robert E. Cowen, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He was also a judicial clerk for the Honorable Eugene D. Serpentelli, Assignment Judge, County of Ocean, Superior Court of New Jersey.
- "Issues Concerning The Enforcement Of Restrictive Covenants In Commercial Leases," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, April 1, 2018
- "The Superior Court’s Complex Business Litigation Program Three Years After Inception," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, April 1, 2018
- "Defending Against the Termination of a Franchise in New Jersey: Some Practical Considerations," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, February 1, 2016
- "Inside the New Complex Business Litigation Program for the New Jersey Superior Court," ACC Focus on the New Jersey Chapter, October 27, 2015
- "Oral Argument Before the Third Circuit – The Privilege and Preparation," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, August 1, 2015
- "Keeping it Real and Reasonable – Crafting and Defending a Post-Employment Restrictive Covenant," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 1, 2014
- "Updated Corporate Statutes Make New Jersey More Attractive to Businesses," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, April 22, 2014
- The Threat or Prospect of Franchise Termination: Knowing Your Rights In New Jersey," Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., January 10, 2013
- "The More and Pierson Decisions: Restrictive Covenants Between Physicians are Enforceable, and May Restrict Physicians from Practicing in Local Hospitals," Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., January 9, 2013
- Chapter 14, “Final Pretrial Orders,” New Jersey Law Journal Books: New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure, 2008–2013
- “Enforcing Restrictive Covenants in Commercial Leases,” BIZ INDIA Magazine, September/October 2004
- “Basics of Injunctive Relief in Federal Court,” New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, February 2004
- “Minimize Undue Influence Claims Through Proper Drafting and Execution of the Will,” New Jersey Law Journal, May 26, 2003
- "Complex Litigation: Fighting Claims of Corporate Wrongdoing," New Jersey Law Journal, April 27, 2003
- “When Your Client’s Neighbor Becomes a Competitor,” New Jersey Law Journal, March 17, 2003
Also of Interest
- May 20, 2021Chambers USA Recognizes Wilentz as Leading Business Law Firm in New Jersey in 2021 Edition
- March 23, 202139 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists in 2021 Edition
- December 10, 2020Edward T. Kole and Tracy Armstrong to Serve as Panelists at NJICLE Webcast “Business Litigation Roundtable: Current Issues in Business Litigation in a COVID-19 World”
- October 23, 2020Edward T. Kole to Moderate Third Annual Federal Pro Bono Institute & Presentation of the Simandle Award