Edward T. Kole chairs the Business and Commercial Litigation department at Wilentz and has 30 years of experience in the practice of complex corporate and commercial litigation. Mr. Kole is an accomplished business litigator and trial lawyer, having handled commercial disputes on behalf of public and private companies in New Jersey and across the nation, including matters venued in California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas. In addition to the relationships he forges and maintains with each of his individual business clients, he is well known and regarded among the New Jersey state and federal judiciary as a result of his experience in the courtroom and his leadership positions within the Federal and New Jersey Bar Associations.
Mr. Kole is the President-Elect of the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey. He is a past chair of the Business and Commercial Litigation Committee, as well as the Federal Practice and Procedure Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, and previously served as a member of the Appellate Practice Committee. Mr. Kole is a member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee, and co-chair of the Pro Bono Committee, for the United States District Court of New Jersey. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in North America, and serves on the State and Heritage Committees. He is also a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Mr. Kole firmly believes that it is not enough to be a good lawyer, but that a commitment to elevating the practice of law and dedication to legal community is his responsibility. That sense of obligation to his profession, his colleagues and the firm directly translates to level of service each of his clients receive.
Mr. Kole is recognized as a leading lawyer in his field by Chambers USA. In 2018, Chambers’ sources describe Mr. Kole as “an outstanding litigator. A master strategist, he has the ability to take a lot of information and hone it down into primary, secondary and tertiary strategy components.” Chambers further quoted clients as saying “[h]is ability to take command of the situation, even opposing counsel, is amazing.” In addition, Mr. Kole has been included in New Jersey Best Lawyers in America list since 2006 and New Jersey Super Lawyers list since its inception in 2005.
Mr. Kole’s practice includes the representation of large and medium sized businesses and corporations at every level of state and federal courts, involving a myriad of legal issues including: complex contract disputes; restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation; securities and derivative actions; as well as litigation concerning business, shareholder/partnership and franchise disputes.
His experience as a litigator and his commitment the New Jersey legal community has made Mr. Kole a sought after lecturer on federal and appellate practice, restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation, as well as on shareholder disputes and has conducted and moderated numerous seminars for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Kole was a judicial intern to the Honorable Leonard I. Garth, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, and to the Honorable Robert E. Cowen, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He was also a judicial clerk for the Honorable Eugene D. Serpentelli, Assignment Judge, County of Ocean, Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Chapter 14, “Final Pretrial Orders,” New Jersey Law Journal Books: New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure, 2008–2013
- “Enforcing Restrictive Covenants in Commercial Leases,” BIZ INDIA Magazine, September/October 2004
- “Basics of Injunctive Relief in Federal Court,” New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, February 2004
- “Minimize Undue Influence Claims Through Proper Drafting and Execution of the Will,” New Jersey Law Journal, May 26, 2003
- “Fighting Claims of Corporate Wrongdoing,” New Jersey Law Journal: Complex Litigation, April 28, 2003
- “When Your Client’s Neighbor Becomes a Competitor,” New Jersey Law Journal, March 17, 2003
Also of Interest
- December 5, 2018 Ed Kole and Tracy Armstrong to Present at NJICLE Business Litigation Roundtable
- October 5, 2018 Edward T. Kole to Moderate First Annual Federal Pro Bono Institute
- August 15, 2018 Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers
- May 4, 2018 Wilentz Lawyers and Practices Earn Top Rankings from Chambers USA 2018