Philip A. Tortoreti is a shareholder in the Mass Tort/Class Action group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. For over 40 years, Mr. Tortoreti has represented hundreds of mesothelioma victims. In addition, he has helped thousands of asbestos disease victims and advocated for their rights in New Jersey, making him one of the state’s pioneers in the area of asbestos litigation. Fighting for mesothelioma and other asbestos disease victims remains Mr. Tortoreti’s professional mission to this day.
Among the recent recoveries obtained by Mr. Tortoreti on behalf of asbestos disease victims include:
- $2.9 Million for a mesothelioma victim
- $1.35 Million for a mesothelioma victim
- $1.95 Million for a mesothelioma victim
- $2.7 Million for a mesothelioma victim
- $2.6 Million for a mesothelioma victim
- $2.1 Million for a mesothelioma victim
Results achieved in prior matters are not meant to be a guarantee of success as the facts and legal circumstances vary from matter to matter. The depth of Mr. Tortoreti’s experience extends to other toxic and chemical exposure litigation, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, and consumer class action litigation. He is currently serving as co-lead counsel for plaintiffs and the class in In Re Horizon Healthcare Services, Inc.: Data Breach Litigation, U.S.D.C., D.N.J. (Case No. 2:13-cv-07418-ccc-MF).
A selection of settled class actions in which Mr. Tortoreti was co-lead counsel for plaintiffs include:
- Extensis, Inc. v. Hewlett Packard Company: consumer fraud class action resulting in a settlement in excess of $100 million for purchases of defective HP LaserJet printers (Superior Court of NJ, Middlesex County);
- Kim v. Sony Computer Entertainment: Sony PlayStation 2 owners compensated for non-compatibility with PlayStation 1 games and certain movies (Superior Court of California);
- Glenz v. RCI, Inc.: class action settlement compensating time-share owners for insufficient access to desirable properties (United States District Court, District of New Jersey); and
- Reilly Palm Restaurants: reinstatement of awards club points and expansion of awards availability (Supreme Court of New York, New York County).
Mr. Tortoreti’s work on behalf of victims is supported by the entire Wilentz’s Mass Tort and Class Action practice group, a team of lawyers who have long been nationally recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a Tier I Best Law Firm. He has also been recognized individually as a New Jersey Super Lawyer since 2012.
In addition, Mr. Tortoreti spends time representing victims on a pro-bono basis. Through the American Association for Justice (AAJ), Mr. Tortoreti participated in the Trial Lawyers Care Pro Bono Project, providing legal representation for victims and their relatives before the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, which was the largest single pro bono project in the history of American jurisprudence. In addition to AAJ, Mr. Tortoreti is a member of the New Jersey Bar Association, Middlesex County Bar Association, Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, New Jersey Association for Justice, the Hispanic Bar Association, and the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey (APALA-NJ).
Mr. Tortoreti is a proud father of two adult children, having expended equal effort on being the best lawyer and best father he could be. For over 20 years, he volunteered his time coaching both of his children in three sports each, served as a trustee, and later served as President, of the youth sports organization in his community. In addition, he co-established a foundation for the purpose of providing supplemental funding of sports facilities in that community.