Brett R. Harris is a shareholder in the Corporate group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. Her broad-based general corporate practice consists of both transactional matters and day-to-day client counseling on everyday business matters. She has extensive transactional experience in stock and asset acquisitions representing both buyers and sellers. She has many years of experience in document drafting and negotiation, regulatory compliance matters and policy development for a full range of clients, including publicly-traded companies, closely-held businesses, health care practices, charitable organizations, governmental entities and individual business executives.
Ms. Harris has a particular focus on counseling non-profit organizations including entity formation, establishing and maintaining tax exempt status and complying with fundraising regulations. She counsels Boards on policy matters, mission statement development and strategic planning. In addition, she advises clients on structuring and operating family foundations, including grantmaking due diligence and administration of grant agreements.
Her intellectual property practice consists of trademark screening, trademark and copyright registrations, IP licensing matters, trade secret protections, issuing and responding to cease and desist letters and interfacing with the firm’s commercial litigation team on infringement matters.
Ms. Harris has developed a practice with an emphasis on technology issues. She represents software developers, online businesses and consulting firms. Ms. Harris also advises general business clients and non-profits in addressing technology concerns, including privacy, licensing, e-discovery, development of online policies and website disclaimers, e-commerce, domain name management, establishment of employee e-mail, Internet usage and BYOD policies and addressing legal issues related to social media.
- Recipient of the 2022 Marshall Sherman Humanitarian Award from the New Jersey Chapter of The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation
- Named as one of the Top 25 Leading Women by Leading Women Entrepreneurs & Business Owners, 2019
- Recipient of The Founder’s Award from “I Have a Dream” Foundation - Plainfield Project
- Recognized by Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey with Commerce Magazine Best Practices Award in 2014
- New Jersey Lawyer (Magazine), Special Editor for Nonprofit & Internet Law issues
- “Desk Reference Manual for Nonprofit & Social Service Organizations,” Contributing Author
- Published in New Jersey Lawyer, New Jersey Law Journal, New Jersey Family Lawyer, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, and Commerce Magazine
- Symposium Coordinator, Moderator and Speaker for New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, National Business Institute, Lorman Education Services and other legal education providers
- Named as one of the Best Fifty Women in Business by NJBIZ in 2012
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Corporate/M&A practice area, 2012-2022
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers list for 2006-2016 and 2019-2022 in the areas of Business/Corporate, M&A, Intellectual Property, Information Technology, and Non-Profit
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America list since 2007 for Information Technology Law, Corporate Law, Business Organizations, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Intellectual Property and Technology Law; "Lawyer of the Year" for Corporate Law in 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2024
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
NJBIZ Best 50 Women in Business List (https://njbiz.com/runs-world-2021-best-50-women-business-honorees/) is published by BridgeTower Media. Nominations come from outside submissions and honorees were selected by an independent panel of judges.
Chambers USA® (https://chambers.com/about-us/methodology) is published by Chambers and Partners.
Super Lawyers® (http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process_detail.html) is published by Thomson Reuters.
Best Lawyers in America® (https://www.bestlawyers.com/methodology) is published by Best Lawyers.
Martindale-Hubbell® (https://www.martindale.com/ratings-and-reviews/) is published by Internet Brands, Inc.
A description of the selection processes may be accessed via the above links. The aforementioned organizations are private peer review organizations, not court-specific, public certification vehicles. No aspect of this advertisement has been submitted to or approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- The IOLTA Fund of the Bar of New Jersey Board of Trustees (appointed by New Jersey Supreme Court for 5-year term commencing 2020), Treasurer (2023-2024 term)
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (CCF) National Patient Education Advisory Committee (2016-present)
- Medical and Professional Advisory Council of The Arnold P. Gold Foundation (1999-present)
- Legal Advisor Trustee on the Board of Trustees of Temple Emanu-El of Westfield "I Have a Dream" Foundation, Inc. (2000-2017)
- BBYO Chapter Advisor (2018-2019)
- Temple Emanu-El of Westfield Co-Chair of Library Committee (2011-present), member of Youth Learning & Engagement Committee (2007-2017), Social Action Committee (2015-2017), Nominating Committee (2016) and Leadership Development program (2012)
- Liberty Science Center Women’s Leadership Council (2012-2014)
- American Heart Association Garden State Go Red for Women® Luncheon Leadership Committee (2014 & 2015)