Brett R. Harris is a shareholder in the Corporate group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. Her broad-based general corporate practice consists of both transactional matters and day-to-day client counseling on everyday business matters. She has extensive transactional experience in stock and asset acquisitions representing both buyers and sellers. She has many years of experience in document drafting and negotiation, regulatory compliance matters and policy development for a full range of clients, including publicly-traded companies, closely-held businesses, health care practices, charitable organizations, governmental entities and individual business executives.
Ms. Harris has a particular focus on counseling non-profit organizations including entity formation, establishing and maintaining tax exempt status and complying with fundraising regulations. She counsels Boards on policy matters, mission statement development and strategic planning. In addition, she advises clients on structuring and operating family foundations, including grantmaking due diligence and administration of grant agreements.
Her intellectual property practice consists of trademark screening, trademark and copyright registrations, IP licensing matters, trade secret protections, issuing and responding to cease and desist letters and interfacing with the firm’s commercial litigation team on infringement matters.
Ms. Harris has developed a practice with an emphasis on technology issues. She represents software developers, online businesses and consulting firms. Ms. Harris also advises general business clients and non-profits in addressing technology concerns, including privacy, licensing, e-discovery, development of online policies and website disclaimers, e-commerce, domain name management, establishment of employee e-mail, Internet usage and BYOD policies and addressing legal issues related to social media.
- Named as one of the Top 25 Leading Women by Leading Women Entrepreneurs & Business Owners, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Named as one of NJBIZ Magazine’s Best 50 Women in Business, 2012
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Corporate/M&A practice area, 2012-2020
- Recipient of The Founder’s Award from “I Have a Dream” Foundation - Plainfield Project
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America since 2007 for Information Technology Law, Corporate Law, Business Organizations, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Intellectual Property and Technology Law; "Lawyer of the Year" for Corporate Law in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers for 2006-2016 and 2019-2020 in the areas of Business/Corporate, M&A, Intellectual Property, Information Technology and Non-Profit
- Recognized in "Women and Minorities in the Legal Profession" supplement of New Jersey Law Journal in August of 2005
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Law Journal’s “Forty under Forty” 2002 listing
- Recognized by Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey with Commerce Magazine Best Practices Award in 2014
- New Jersey Lawyer (Magazine), Special Editor for Nonprofit & Internet Law issues
- “Desk Reference Manual for Nonprofit & Social Service Organizations,” Contributing Author
- Published in New Jersey Lawyer, New Jersey Law Journal, New Jersey Family Lawyer, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, and Commerce Magazine
- Symposium Coordinator, Moderator and Speaker for New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, National Business Institute, Lorman Education Services and other legal education providers
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (CCF) National Patient Education Advisory Committee (2016-present)
- Medical and Professional Advisory Council of The Arnold P. Gold Foundation (1999-present)
- Legal Advisor Trustee on the Board of Trustees of Temple Emanu-El of Westfield "I Have a Dream" Foundation, Inc. (2000-2017)
- BBYO Chapter Advisor (2018-2019)
- Temple Emanu-El of Westfield Co-Chair of Library Committee (2011-present), member of Youth Learning & Engagement Committee (2007-2017), Social Action Committee (2015-2017), Nominating Committee (2016) and Leadership Development program (2012)
- Liberty Science Center Women’s Leadership Council (2012-2014)
- American Heart Association Garden State Go Red for Women® Luncheon Leadership Committee (2014 & 2015)
Also of Interest
- October 28, 2020Brett R. Harris to Present at NJICLE Webcast “2020 New Jersey M & A Conference - COVID-19 Edition”
- August 27, 2020Brett R. Harris to Present Lorman Education Services Live Webinar “Obligations and Ethical Considerations for Attorneys Serving on Nonprofit Boards”
- August 21, 2020Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 36 Wilentz Attorneys in 20 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition
- August 5, 2020Wilentz Attorneys to Serve New Jersey State Bar Association in Leadership Positions