David H. Stein is a shareholder at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. and co-chair of the firm’s Banking and Financial Services group and the Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights group. Mr. Stein focuses his practice on lending, work-outs, commercial litigation, business reorganization, foreclosure litigation, asset recovery, and judgment enforcement matters.
Mr. Stein has significant courtroom experience in the litigation of complex commercial matters, enforcement and priority of liens, claims, and security interests, and other matters affecting the debtor-creditor relationship. His clients have included banks, financial institutions, leasing creditors, creditors' committees, trustees, debtors, receivers, commercial landlords, and purchasers of distressed assets.
In 2021, Mr. Stein was appointed to the Roster of Mediators maintained by the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts pursuant to R. 1:40-2. In 2022, Mr. Stein was appointed to the Roster of Mediation in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of New Jersey, for a term of three years, and was elected Secretary to the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Bankruptcy Law Section.
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Bankruptcy/Restructuring since 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America since 2013 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; "Lawyer of the Year" in 2019
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers since 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Certificate of Appreciation by the New Jersey Supreme Court in recognition for “Meritorious Public Service,” having served as a member of the District Fee Arbitration Committee of Essex County, NJ, 2010
- Certificate of Appreciation by the New Jersey Supreme Court in recognition for "Meritorious Public Service," having served as a member of the District Ethics Committee of Essex County, NJ, 2004
- Certificate of Appreciation by the Superior Court of New Jersey, Union County Vicinage, in recognition for "Distinguished Service," having served as a member of the Springfield Township Juvenile Conference Committee, 2001
Chambers USA® (https://chambers.com/about-us/methodology) is published by Chambers and Partners.
Super Lawyers® (http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process_detail.html) is published by Thomson Reuters.
Best Lawyers in America® (https://www.bestlawyers.com/methodology) is published by Best Lawyers.
Martindale-Hubbell® (https://www.martindale.com/ratings-and-reviews/) is published by Internet Brands, Inc.
A description of the selection processes may be accessed via the above links. The aforementioned organizations are private peer review organizations, not court-specific, public certification vehicles. No aspect of this advertisement has been submitted to or approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- "New Developments of Bankruptcy Third-Party Releases (Traps for the Unwary)," NJICLE, July 2022
- “Bankruptcy from the Paralegal's Perspective,” 2022 Paralegal Educational Symposium hosted by the South Jersey Paralegal Association, Webcast, March 2022
- “Representing the Secured Lender in Challenging Times,” NJICLE, Webcast, February 2021
- “Best Practices for Presentation of Testimony and the Art of Persuasion,” 2020 NJCPA Virtual Business Valuation and Litigation Conference, Woodbridge NJ, September 2020
- "Bankruptcy, Litigation and Uncovering the Fraud," New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJCPA) Business Valuation and Litigation Services Conference, Iselin NJ, September 2018
- “The Evolution of the Retail Industry,” 15th Annual Turnaround Management Association Seminar Joint Meeting with the Association for Corporate Growth, Kenilworth NJ, April 2018
- "Global Ghost Town – Creative Land Use Solutions When Shopping Centers Die," NJSBA Mid-Year Meeting, Madrid Spain, October 2017
- “Bankruptcy in Employment Litigation,” National Employment Lawyers Association, NJ Chapter, New Brunswick NJ, May 2017
- “New Jersey Ethics Procedures,” 18th Annual Hon. William H. Ginden Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference, East Brunswick NJ, April 2016
- “Recent Events and Notable Decisions in Bankruptcy and Cases of Interest to Commercial Lending,” OceanFirst Bank CLE Program, Toms River NJ, October 2015
- “Economic Forum V,” Edison Chamber of Commerce, Edison NJ, June 2013
- “Chapter 11 Bankruptcy – Key Strategies for Helping Your Clients,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Iselin NJ, November 2012
- “Economic Forum IV - What You Need To Know To Do Business Today,” Edison Chamber of Commerce and the New Jersey State Chamber of Commerce, Edison NJ, October 2012
- “Brokerage Case Law Update and Issues Relating to Grubb & Ellis Bankruptcy,” Woodbridge NJ, March 2012