Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer’s Banking & Financial Services team is highly experienced as legal advisors in all types of financial transactions. We help structure, negotiate, document, conduct due diligence and close a wide variety of credit facilities. We represent both lenders and borrowers nationally. Our experience and multi-disciplinary approach has made us the trusted legal counsel of numerous banking institutions, finance companies, private lenders, and hedge funds. Chambers USA ranks Wilentz as the top banking and financial services practice in New Jersey in 2020, based in part on client and market sources who laud the team for being "well-regarded" on both the lender and borrower sides, "very strong technically" and "excellent and responsive," with a "breadth of experience over relevant specialties which makes them more efficient."
Each year, we represent clients in hundreds of transactions, generating hundreds of millions of dollars in aggregate proceeds in connection with acquisitions, construction, development, redevelopment, joint ventures, and general commercial purposes. We have earned a national reputation for our ability to resolve complex financing and legal issues arising in the context of all types of credit transactions, including real estate financing, construction financing, asset based lending, equipment lease financing, private equity sponsored leveraged lending, commercial and industrial financing, healthcare financing, syndicated transactions, loan participation, mezzanine and second lien credit facilities, and debt restructuring.
We maintain an active presence in financial and real estate industry associations, and certain of our shareholders serve on Boards of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the New York Institute of Credit, the New Jersey Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association, and the North New Jersey Chapter of the Risk Management Association. We are routinely invited to serve as panelists, conduct CLE presentations and lectures for legal and banking groups on various banking law topics. Our articles on banking and finance have been featured in leading business and legal publications, including the American Banker, Uniform Commercial Code Law Journal, Banking Law Journal, ABFJournal, New York Law Journal and New Jersey Law Journal.
- Represented a leading commercial bank in connection with a $114,000,000 acquisition financing by The Silverman Group of an industrial portfolio of 27 properties located in New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Iowa, Indiana and Alabama from Rubenstein Properties.
- Represented a national association of fertility clinics as outside counsel in connection with its partial merger with a global medical institution in the field of reproductive endocrinology, forming the world’s largest assisted reproduction group with estimated combined enterprise value of over $1,000,000,000.
- Represented a regional bank with an extensive branch network in preparing and negotiating documentation for a $23,000,000 asset-based revolving loan and a $12,500,000 equipment acquisition facility.
- Represented a senior living community provider in connection with a tax-exempt and conventional credit facility aggregating in excess of $100,000,000.
- Represented a private equity lender in a series of financing transactions aggregating $18,000,000 involving asset-based loans and term loans that included real estate collateral in various states, regulatory collateral, and inter-creditor issues for the purchase of various U.S. businesses.
- Represented a well-known commercial bank in an eight-part joint venture financing to advance over $41,000,000 for the land acquisition and construction of over 200 residential units located in Lakewood, New Jersey.
- Represented an asset-based bank lender in the $22,000,000 financing for a window manufacturer, and resolved competing real estate claims and potential statutory lien law issues.
- Represented a regional lender with respect to structuring, negotiating and closing both a tax exempted $8,500,000 bond financing and a $15,000,000 conventional construction loan to a well-known performing arts theatre.
- Represented a regional bank, as agent and co-lender, in structuring, preparing and negotiating loan documentation, and conducting due diligence, including with respect to the targeted company being acquired, all as part of a $36,000,000 private equity sponsored leveraged credit facility.
Jonathan J. Bart
Daniel S. Bernheim, 3d
Kelly A. Erhardt-Wojie
Peter R. Herman
Joseph J. Jankowski
Vincent P. Maltese
Anthony M. Osbourne
Yessica J. Pinales
Louis J. Seminski, Jr.
David H. Stein