John A. Hoffman is Chairman of the Board of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. and formerly served as the firm’s managing partner and treasurer. Mr. Hoffman is an esteemed member of the New Jersey legal and business communities and has practiced at Wilentz for over 50 years.
Mr. Hoffman has served as general counsel to Middlesex County College for over 50 years and as special counsel to New Brunswick Housing Authority and New Brunswick Parking Authority in major redevelopment projects in the city since the 1970s. He has represented the Middlesex County Improvement Authority and Middlesex County in the acquisition of open space in the County, and the Middlesex County Utilities Authority for over 30 years. He serves on the Board of Directors of New Jersey American Water Company and New York American Water Company. Mr. Hoffman has represented major public utilities in regulatory proceedings for many years and served as co-chair of the Board of Public Utilities Transition Committee for former Governor James E. McGreevey. In 2018, Mr. Hoffman was appointed to serve as a Commissioner to the State Commission of Investigation (SCI), an independent investigatory body which falls under the New Jersey Legislature. He previously served as a commissioner of the New Jersey Racing Commission. He is a member of the Middlesex County College Foundation.
In 2017, Mr. Hoffman was honored by the Auxiliary and the Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) University Hospital for his dedicated commitment to the Auxiliary and RWJ University Hospital as a member of RWJBarnabas Health Board of Trustees, and former Chair and current member of RWJ University Hospital Board of Directors. In 2015, Mr. Hoffman received the Distinguished Citizen Award from the Boy Scouts of America organization. In 2014, he and his late wife Judith received honors from the American Cancer Society. Mr. Hoffman received the Lawyer Achievement Award from the Middlesex County Bar Association in 2011, and the L’Hommedieu Award from Middlesex County College in 2010. He was presented with the Saint Thomas More Award from the Diocese of Metuchen in 2007, and received the Community Leadership of Distinction Award from the Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce in 2003. The Woodbridge Chamber of Commerce named Mr. Hoffman “Citizen of the Year” in 2000. In 1998, he was presented the “Torch of Liberty” award from the Anti-Defamation League-an honor recognized in a Joint Legislative Resolution of the New Jersey Senate and General Assembly. Mr. Hoffman has been selected for inclusion in the New Jersey Best Lawyers in America and New Jersey Super Lawyers lists.
Mr. Hoffman serves on the Boards of Directors of RWJBarnabas and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. He served as chairman of the Board of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital from 2009-2012, and as chairman of the Board of Trustees for Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Foundation from 2001-2004. In 2012, Mr. Hoffman was named Hospital and Healthcare System Trustee of the Year by the New Jersey Hospital Association. He served on the Board of Trustees, legal and executive committees for the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey from 2003-2009. Mr. Hoffman was a speaker at the Administrative Law Conference of the Public Utility Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA) in 1976 and 1978 in connection with regulatory issues. He also attended various meetings of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, New Jersey Utilities Association, and Great Lakes Conference of Public Utilities Commissioners.
Mr. Hoffman resides in Somerset, New Jersey. He was married to his late wife Judith for 53 years. Mr. Hoffman has two children, John Jay Hoffman, the former Attorney General of the State of New Jersey and now Chief Counsel for Rutgers University, and Beth Driscoll, a teacher in Massachusetts. Mr. Hoffman has four grandchildren, Casey, Aiden, John Stuart, and Margaret Rose.
- Acted as attorney for the Board of Trustees of Middlesex County College from the formation of the college to the present.
- Acted as construction and general counsel to the Middlesex County Utilities Authority.
- Acted as attorney for Middlesex County Improvement Authority and Middlesex County in connection with acquisition of open space in the County.
- Acted as special redevelopment and condemnation counsel to the Housing Authority and Urban Redevelopment Authority of the City of New Brunswick on various redevelopment projects from 1980 to the present, including but not limited to the Hyatt Hotel Project, Golden Triangle Project, Kilmer Square Project, Riverwatch Project, Providence Square Project, HOPE VI Revitalization Project, Civic Square II, III and IV Projects, the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, Gateway Project and Wellness Center Project.
- Represented the New Brunswick Parking Authority on its recent Gateway, Wellness Center and Cultural Center Project.
- Represented New Jersey Bell Telephone Company, as special counsel, before New Jersey Appellate Division, defending Board of Regulatory Commissioners (BRC) approval of Plan for deployment of fiber optic technology in connection with a relaxed form of regulation of telecommunication service rates.
- Represented Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) in connection with its rate unbundling, stranded costs, and restructuring filings before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, its related petition for a bondable stranded costs rate order, and the subsequent resolution of those cases by a stipulation of settlement that was adopted by the Board. Mr. Hoffman successfully defended that settlement in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division and subsequently in the Supreme Court of New Jersey, where the settlement was upheld.
- Represented PSE&G as special counsel in connection with various rate proceedings: prepared witnesses; cross-examined adverse witnesses; briefed rate of return, taxes, accounting and related matters, and various accounting and rate design issues in connection with appeal.
- Represented Williams Telecommunications in connection with property acquisition for transmission line.
- Represents New Jersey Natural Gas Company in connection with various regulatory issues.
- Represented municipal intervenor in water company petition for rate increases by West Keansburg Water Company, 1980-83; represented intervenors in Jersey Central Power and Light Company and in New Jersey Natural Gas Company rate cases, 1978-83.
- Retained as legal consultant and/or counsel to the consumer advocate(s) or utility commission staff(s) in electric and telephone rate cases in Colorado, Delaware, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Guam.
- Retained by municipalities and private industry to intervene in connection with rate increase applications before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities by gas utilities, electric utilities, water utilities and solid waste utilities.
- Retained as special rate counsel by the Attorney General and the Department of the Public Advocate, Division of Rate Counsel, to appear before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities in the following rate increase application proceedings: Jersey Central Power and Light Company; New Jersey Bell Telephone Company; and Public Service Electric & Gas Company.
Also of Interest
- January 10, 2019 John A. Hoffman Appointed as Commissioner to New Jersey State Commission of Investigation
- August 15, 2018 Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers
- March 29, 2018 44 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- October 15, 2017 Chairman John Hoffman Honored by the Auxiliary of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital