Laurie E. Meyers is a shareholder and co-chair of the Real Estate practice group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. As a seasoned legal adviser to public and private corporations, real estate investment trusts, national and regional developers, redevelopers, property owners, landlords and tenants, Ms. Meyers manages all aspects of commercial real estate and redevelopment transactions.
Her real estate practice is focused on a wide variety of commercial transactions. Throughout her career, Ms. Meyers has played a prominent role in managing acquisitions, dispositions, and leasing and financings of commercial, office and industrial properties.
On the redevelopment side, Ms. Meyers works with her clients to navigate the redevelopment process and to negotiate redevelopment and tax abatement agreements with municipalities across New Jersey. She also assists clients in obtaining financing and incentives through various state and local programs. Ms. Meyers uses her diverse skills, years of broad experience and practical approach to counsel her clients in achieving seamless closings of transactions, especially when the legal issues are challenging and the financing structures are complex.
Ms. Meyers has lectured for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education on a variety of real estate and redevelopment topics. Prior to joining Wilentz, she practiced real estate law at a prominent firm in New York, where she represented private and public clients engaged in diverse real estate projects and transactions throughout the Tri-State area.
- Representation of major regional developers/landlords in the drafting and negotiation of commercial leases, including, build to suit leases, with national and other tenants for industrial, offices and medical properties;
- Representation of a national real estate investment trust in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, financings and redevelopment projects, including tax abatement agreements;
- Representation of a developer of several mixed use and residential redevelopment projects, including a project involving the settlement of litigation with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and complex negotiations of restrictive use agreements and a transit oriented project involving the construction of a public arts center with grant funds from Middlesex County;
- Representation of a major hospital in land acquisitions and development of regional cancer treatment centers in New Jersey;
- Representation of an industrial warehouse developer in connection with various redevelopment projects in Newark, including the land acquisition of multiple properties owned by different entities primarily through voluntary negotiations in lieu of condemnation, redevelopment agreements and tax abatements;
- Representation of major corporation in a $650 million sale leaseback transaction of its 1.4 million square foot headquarters;
- Representation of a real estate property trust created through bankruptcy in connection with the disposition of environmentally contaminated properties and redevelopment into productive use;
- Representation of a major corporation in the sale of an iconic New Jersey office building to be converted to residential use which involved the reservation of complex easements and rights, separation of building systems, post-closing leases and regulatory issues;
- Representation of a national developer of supermarkets in connection with the ground lease/acquisition of properties, redevelopment agreement and tax abatement agreement;
- Representation of a major corporation in the purchase of an operating hotel for future conversion into a training center/hotel for employees;
- Representation of a major corporation in the portfolio sale of all its data centers in New Jersey.
Also of Interest
- May 20, 2021Chambers USA Recognizes Wilentz as Leading Business Law Firm in New Jersey in 2021 Edition
- April 24, 2020Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Wilentz as Top Tier Law Firm in New Jersey
- February 9, 2018Wilentz Attorneys to Present at ICLE’s 2018 Redevelopment Law Institute Conference
- June 7, 2017New Jersey Future Awards Wilentz the Smart Growth Award