David Gordon is a shareholder in the Commercial Real Estate and Land Use/Environmental groups at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. He represents developers, owners, users and other clients in all aspects of complex real estate transactions, with an emphasis on land acquisition and disposition, leasing, development approvals, redevelopment, construction contracts and the structuring of business entities. With regard to his financing practice, Mr. Gordon focuses on construction, interim and permanent mortgage financing, and equity participation. He also represents landlords and tenants in leasing transactions, including industrial, office and retail transactions.
Mr. Gordon has been consistently ranked by Chambers USA since 2004 and has been distinguished with a Band 1 ranking since 2012. He has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and New Jersey Super Lawyers since 2005 (Top 100, 2005-2018; Top 10, 2009).
A former adjunct professor at Rutgers Law School of advanced real estate transactions, Mr. Gordon has lectured for a variety of groups including the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the International Council of Shopping Centers (US and Canada), the New Jersey chapter of NAIOP, the New Jersey Mortgage Bankers Association, the American Banking Institute, the New Jersey Title Insurance Institute and Lorman Business Services.
Mr. Gordon has been a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers since 1990 and has served in a number of leadership roles, including two terms on the Board of Governors and as chair and vice-chair of several administrative and substantive law committees. He is also a former co-chair (2015-2018) and a member of the Advisory Board and Faculty (2004-present) of the Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, presented by Georgetown University Law Center.
Mr. Gordon is a co-contributing editor of the leasing chapter of Commercial Real Estate Transactions in New Jersey, published by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and co-author of New Jersey Real Estate Forms, published by LexisNexis Law Publishing. In addition, he is the original contributing editor for New Jersey to State-by-State Guide to Commercial Real Estate Leases, published by Wolters Kluwer Law & Business (2013-2016).
- Representation of a subtenant in the negotiation of a sublease for 600,000 square feet in a 1.1 million square foot newly constructed office tower on the “Gold Coast” in Jersey City
- Representation of a landowner/redeveloper in sale and redevelopment of brownfields industrial site to public improvement authority, including ground lease, redevelopment agreement, general construction contract for $34.6 million multi-purpose entertainment facility (arena) and issues involved in related public financing
- Representation of an owner/developer of 300-acre 18 hole private golf course including land acquisition, land use development and environmental approvals, construction contract for $5 million clubhouse and membership-related issues
- Representation of several affiliated entities of Frank A. Greek & Son, Inc. in over 9.5 million square feet of industrial leases
- Representation of a purchaser of aging traditional, enclosed regional shopping mall with national retailer pad owner, and negotiation for de-malling of facility for conversion to a big box power center, including negotiation of ground leases with three national big box retailers
- Representation of a redeveloper of a three-building urban redevelopment project in Perth Amboy comprised of a 535 vehicle multi-level parking deck and 249 units of lower and moderate income rental apartment units and approximately 60,000 square feet of ground level commercial/retail space. The project involved ground and air rights leases, numerous cross-easements and operating covenants, equity investment by a syndication of approximately $51,000,000.00 of investment tax credits, approximately $65,000,000.00 of construction financing, three permanent loans from the New Jersey Housing Mortgage Finance Agency (residential project - $13,200,000.00) and a direct investment loan by Bally’s Park Place, Inc. through the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority ($11,000,000.00-commercial project)
- Representation of a seller of 10-property, 1.4 million square foot, 15-building portfolio to a privately owned real estate investment trust; included work obtaining environmental approvals
- Representation of sellers of 5-property, 1.1 million square foot, 7-building portfolio to a privately owned real estate investment trust; included work obtaining environmental approvals
- Representation of borrowers in $91 million composite real estate finance facility involving a 10-year flexible credit facility providing for LIBOR-based and commercial paper financing
- Representation of sellers of multi-location supermarket facilities including subleases and leaseback arrangements
- Representation of a tenant in leasing of single user office building for national headquarters facility and leasing of temporary operations space for use during relocation
- Representation of three separate pharmaceutical company tenants for office, manufacturing and laboratory facilities in New Jersey, Massachusetts and North Carolina
- Representation of a minor league hockey franchise in negotiation of license agreement for use of multi-purpose arena as “anchor” licensee
- Representation of approximately 19 general partnerships in roll-up merger into 5 new limited liability companies, including related environmental approvals
- Representation of a borrower in restructuring of a $90 million secured credit facility involving multiple properties, turnover of several properties to the lender, and additional working capital credit facility, for capital improvements to retained properties
- Representation of a lender in the workout of a default by the owner/operator of a national flag hotel and office facility under a multi-million dollar refinancing and future development credit facility
Also of Interest
- December 3, 2020David S. Gordon to Moderate NJICLE Webcast “Advanced Commercial Leasing and COVID-19: 2020/21 Update”
- August 21, 2020Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 36 Wilentz Attorneys in 20 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition
- April 27, 2020David S. Gordon to Address Commercial Real Estate Legal Issues During COVID-19 at NAIOP NJ Webinar
- April 24, 2020Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Wilentz as Top Tier Law Firm in New Jersey