Todd E. Lehder is a shareholder in the Real Estate team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. For two decades, his clients have benefited from his diverse experience with acquisitions, sales, development, investment, financing and leasing transactions. Counted among his clients are professional developers, real estate investors, lenders and property management companies as well as borrowers, landlords and tenants.
As a hands-on, thorough and versatile commercial real estate lawyer, Mr. Lehder handles complex commercial real estate transactions, with a concentration on acquisitions and sales, leasing, commercial lending, joint ventures and loan workouts. He built his real estate practice—literally from the ground up—representing individuals and small companies, handling wide-ranging legal issues implicated in an extensive variety of office, industrial, retail, and residential projects. This solid foundation has enabled Mr. Lehder to bring a large breadth of knowledge to his representation of larger commercial clients and institutions, while still affording each matter the personal attention that earned the trust of his long-standing clients over many years.
Because of the experience he has gained on all sides of various types of commercial real estate transactions, Mr. Lehder is skilled at formulating creative solutions to the myriad problems that arise in these transactions. He can add value to projects with “outside the box” thinking, without losing focus on the efficient achievement of his client's business objectives.
Mr. Lehder gives back to his community through volunteering and coaching local youth sports. He has been a member of the Fair Haven Zoning Board of Adjustment since 2006 and has served as the Chairman of that Board for 10 years. In 2017, Mr. Lehder was also appointed to the Fair Haven Planning Board. Professionally, Mr. Lehder has been a lecturer at the Lorman Education Services seminar entitled “Real Estate Development from Beginning to End” and been a featured speaker at various construction and real estate development seminars at the annual Atlantic Builder’s Convention.
Mr. Lehder received the NJBIZ’s 2010 Forty Under 40 award. He has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for 2019 and New Jersey Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Editions from 2006 through 2012.
- Formation of a 2015 joint venture for the acquisition of a 21-acre mixed use property portfolio; including 10 commercial buildings and opportunities for additional commercial and retail development.
- Work involving negotiating terms for the acquisition, the joint venture agreement and an acquisition loan in excess of $18 million.
- Acquisition and financing of a mid-sized multifamily apartment in northern New Jersey acquired from a distressed family partnership.
- Recapitalization of a large highly visible office property with a high vacancy rate. Work involving significant negotiation of an intricate lease agreement representing one third of the building resulting in the transformation of an underperforming asset into a high-value investment for the client.
- Mortgage refinancing of a client’s $30 million property portfolio which involved often hostile negotiation among multiple vendors and joint venture partners to achieve the client’s business and financial objectives.
- Successful, time-sensitive acquisition of a marina property destroyed by Hurricane Sandy while under contract. The transaction required careful coordination of environmental, business and real estate issues, and resulted in a timely closing for the seasonal business.
- Representation of a national real estate investment group to solicit bids and sell a large fully approved brownfield site for residential redevelopment.
- Negotiation and structuring of two large deeds in lieu transactions involving real estate portfolios each valued in excess of $100 million. These transactions included managing multiple title transfers in a series of closings over several years in order to achieve the client’s strategic objectives.
- Successful acquisition of an office building by a family-owned entity that was conditioned on both modifications of existing leases and negotiation of leases with new tenants.
- Representation of a family partnership (forced into receivership during contract negotiations) on the sale of a contaminated industrial site for redevelopment.
- Acquisition of raw land resulting from destruction of a residential condominium, achieved through negotiation with both the association and former condominium owners in order to achieve the client’s goal of obtaining the property for development.
- Representation of a small real estate investor to acquire and finance a mid-sized, multi-tenant office building in northern New Jersey from a large real estate developer.
Also of Interest
- August 15, 2018 Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers
- April 26, 2017 Todd Lehder to Moderate NJICLE's Introduction to Commercial Leasing Biennial Seminar
- November 10, 2016 Wilentz Attorneys to Present at NJICLE's From the Ground Up: The Development of a Commercial Real Estate Project Seminar
- October 26, 2016 Todd Lehder to Present at The International Council of Shopping Centers' US Shopping Center Law Conference