Todd E. Lehder is a shareholder and co-chair of the Real Estate practice group at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. For two decades, his clients have benefited from his diverse experience with acquisitions, sales, development, investment, financing and leasing transactions. Counted among his clients are professional developers, real estate investors, lenders and property management companies as well as borrowers, landlords and tenants.
As a hands-on, thorough and versatile commercial real estate lawyer, Mr. Lehder handles complex commercial real estate transactions, with a concentration on acquisitions and sales, leasing, commercial lending, joint ventures and loan workouts. He built his real estate practice—literally from the ground up—representing individuals and small companies, handling wide-ranging legal issues implicated in an extensive variety of office, industrial, retail, and residential projects. This solid foundation has enabled Mr. Lehder to bring a large breadth of knowledge to his representation of larger commercial clients and institutions, while still affording each matter the personal attention that earned the trust of his long-standing clients over many years.
Because of the experience he has gained on all sides of various types of commercial real estate transactions, Mr. Lehder is skilled at formulating creative solutions to the myriad problems that arise in these transactions. He can add value to projects with “outside the box” thinking, without losing focus on the efficient achievement of his client's business objectives.
Mr. Lehder gives back to his community through volunteering and coaching local youth sports. He has been a member of the Fair Haven Zoning Board of Adjustment since 2006 and has served as the Chairman of that Board for 10 years. In 2017, Mr. Lehder was also appointed to the Fair Haven Planning Board. Professionally, Mr. Lehder has been a lecturer at the Lorman Education Services seminar entitled “Real Estate Development from Beginning to End” and been a featured speaker at various construction and real estate development seminars at the annual Atlantic Builder’s Convention.
Mr. Lehder received the NJBIZ’s 2010 Forty Under 40 award. Since 2019, he has been named to Best Lawyers in America in Real Estate Law and has been selected in New Jersey Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Editions from 2006 through 2012.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of a 21-acre mixed use property portfolio including 10 commercial buildings and development sites. Negotiated terms for the acquisition, joint venture and acquisition financing.
- Negotiated a 50,000 sf office lease to relocate a Fortune 500 technology company into a client’s distressed office asset.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition from a publicly traded company of two Class A office assets in a transaction involving multi bank financing, joint venture agreements, seller lease-back, easements and related agreements.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of an 8 parcel portfolio of office and development sites from a national REIT.
- Negotiated acquisition terms, joint venture agreement and an acquisition loan in excess of $18 million.
- Managed acquisition and financing of a mid-sized multifamily apartment in northern New Jersey acquired from a distressed family partnership.
- Managed recapitalization of a large highly visible office property with a high vacancy rate. Work involved significant negotiation of an intricate lease agreement representing one third of the building resulting in the transformation of an underperforming asset into a high-value investment for the client.
- Managed mortgage refinancing of a client’s $30 million property portfolio which involved often hostile negotiation among multiple vendors and joint venture partners.
- Coordinated environmental, business and real estate issues resulting in a timely closing for the acquisition of a seasonal business marina property destroyed by Hurricane Sandy while under contract.
- Represented national real estate investment group to solicit bids and sell a large fully approved brownfield site for residential redevelopment.
- Represented purchaser in the negotiation and structuring of two large deed-in-lieu transactions involving commercial real estate portfolios, each valued in excess of $100 million. These transactions included multiple title transfers in a series of closings over several years.
- Managed acquisition of an office building by a family-owned entity that was conditioned on both modifications of existing leases and negotiation of leases with new tenants.
- Represented family partnership forced into receivership during contract negotiations on the sale of a contaminated industrial site for redevelopment.
- Served as purchaser’s counsel in successful negotiations with the condominium association, former owners and lenders resulting in the acquisition of an urban land parcel which had been the site of a residential condominium that was destroyed by fire.
- Represented high net worth real estate investor in the negotiation of an office lease with purchase option allowing the required time to conduct due diligence, arrange financing and acquire a mid-sized, multi-tenant office building from a large real estate developer.
- Represented landlord in negotiation with a US holding company subsidiary of a Canadian manufacturer for the leasing and build to suit changes to a 450,000 sf industrial building already under construction.
Also of Interest
- August 21, 2020Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 36 Wilentz Attorneys in 20 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition
- June 26, 2020Wilentz Real Estate Co-Chair Todd E. Lehder and Wilentz Assistant General Counsel John E. Hogan to Present NJICLE Commercial Real Estate Transactions Webcast
- August 15, 2019Best Lawyers Recognizes 34 Wilentz Lawyers, 8 Lawyers of the Year
- August 5, 2019Consider Practical Realities When Drafting Landlord Remedies in Commercial Leases