Cybersecurity and Data Breach Investigations
Results achieved in prior matters are not meant to be a guarantee of success as the facts and legal circumstances vary from matter to matter.
Cybersecurity preparedness has become increasingly vital as the breach conversation has changed from "if" to "when." No one is immune—companies of all sizes, and across all industry sectors, are at risk as almost all businesses have some valuable confidential information or intellectual property that makes them vulnerable to cyber threats and data breaches. A range of traditional crimes are now being committed through the Internet and other digital channels, as developing technology can disrupt, destroy, or threaten the delivery of essential services. And new crimes and threats are developing as rapidly as technology advances—the opportunities as limitless as a hacker’s imagination. Cyber actors of varying degrees of sophistication exploit weaknesses and target organizations and individuals for information including business plans, banking and financial fraud, data for insider trading, theft of intellectual property. Advancements in technology can provide powerful tools that can help grow your business into a successful enterprise over the long term. But with power comes the responsibility of protection.
Business owners and operators recognize that understanding cybersecurity and the ramifications of a potential cyber threat has become a critical component of the ongoing viability of their companies. They know that their businesses have become increasingly vulnerable to cyber-attacks as the systems that run businesses become more accessible, interconnected, and reliant on cyberspace. We understand that any disruption to your information systems can wreak havoc on your day-to-day business operations, compromise sensitive customer and employee data or intellectual property, and leave your company open to potential liability. More significantly, any potential threat can impact your reputation, and ultimately hurt your bottom line.
Due to the heightened risk and potential consequences of data breaches and other cyber threats, strengthening cybersecurity must become mission-critical for you and your organization. Our multidisciplinary legal team can help you execute preventative measures to defensibly enhance your cyber risk resilience and thereby diminish the risk of a data breach.
Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. can help you:
- Review data privacy and protection practices and policies;
- Design and implement new policies where needed;
- Provide tailored guidance on how to identify and implement published cybersecurity preparedness guidelines that apply to your line of business, such as the Cybersecurity Framework articulated in the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST);
- Plan for the effective management of crises that might arise as a result of data security breaches and disclosures; and
- When necessary, quickly and efficiently respond to such events and defend any resulting litigation.
Our team can also counsel on a broad range of privacy compliance and data security risk management issues including:
- Cloud computing and breach reporting obligations
- Privacy, HIPAA, and data security matters related to healthcare
- Insurance coverage and recovery
- E-discovery and information management
- Breach and incident response
- Compliance with state notification statutes
Your goal is to receive practical and timely advice in the ever-changing data privacy and protection landscape in order to safeguard your business. Our goal is your peace of mind. To speak with an attorney about your particular matter, please contact our office.