Christopher Keating is an associate at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., resident in the Red Bank office. He is a passionate advocate who represents clients in a wide range of legal matters in New Jersey and New York. Christopher represents the underdogs in our legal system–those who have been injured or wronged by others and those accused of crimes.
A former Deputy Attorney General, Christopher Keating has years of litigation and courtroom experience, including motion practice and jury trials, pursuing justice for victims, and standing up to those who are rarely held accountable for their unlawful actions. At Wilentz, Christopher’s practice areas include personal injury, consumer fraud, wage and hour, criminal defense, and environmental matters.
Christopher’s personal injury practice includes the following matters throughout New Jersey:
- Wrongful death matters,
- Motor vehicle accidents,
- Sexual abuse cases,
- Intentional torts (assault, battery, defamation, etc.),
- Workplace injuries,
- Nursing home abuse and neglect, and
- Trip or slip and falls on unsafe residential and commercial properties.
His criminal defense practice includes all indictable offenses, white collar crimes, and government investigations. Prior to beginning his defense practice, Christopher served as a Deputy Attorney General with the State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General – Division of Criminal Justice (“NJOAG”) from 2015 to 2019. During his tenure with NJOAG, he collaborated with various state and federal agencies to investigate and prosecute violations of the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, including:
- Bias and hate crimes,
- Cyber crimes, computer criminal activity, and theft offenses,
- Environmental crimes,
- Firearms offenses,
- Frauds involving public contracts and against government agencies,
- Interstate theft and fraud organizations,
- Money laundering,
- Motor vehicle theft rings,
- Official misconduct and public corruption, and
- Violations of labor and wage and hour laws.
His duties with NJOAG also included reviewing investigations of officer-involved shootings and training law enforcement officers on various criminal laws. For his outstanding work combating fraud against government agencies, Christopher has received awards and recognition from the United States Department of Labor and the United States Postal Service.
Christopher’s practice also includes appellate matters. In State v. Andrews, a criminal matter, Christopher argued before the Supreme Court of New Jersey on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association. The issue on appeal was whether a criminal defendant may be compelled to disclose the passcode to his cell phone.
From 2014-2017, Christopher served as Adjunct Professor at Rutgers University. In 2021, Christopher was recognized in the "Rising Stars" list of New Jersey Super Lawyers. In 2020, he was named “Young Lawyer of the Year” by the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division and was selected as a “2020 Top Attorney” by South Jersey Magazine in the practice area of Criminal Law.
Prior to joining Wilentz in 2021, Christopher was an associate at Keefe Law Firm, where he focused on personal injury litigation, wage and hour, consumer fraud, criminal defense, and environmental litigation. Prior to that, he served as the Deputy Attorney General at the State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney, Division of Criminal Justice.
New Jersey State Bar Association
Board of Trustees
- Trustee (January 2019 – Present)
- Criminal Law Section – Chair-Elect (May 2020 – Present); Trustee (May 2017 – Present)
- Young Lawyers Division – Trustee (May 2017 – Present), Member (2015 – Present)
- Government, Public Sector, and Public Interest Lawyers Committee – Member (May 2016 – August 2019)
- Amicus Committee – Vice Chair (appointed May 2020)
- Legislative Committee (appointed January 2020)
- Diversity Committee (appointed May 2018)
- Legal Education Committee (appointed May 2018)
- New Jersey Lawyer Editorial Board (appointed May 2018)
- Editor of the June 2019 “Bail Reform” issue
Camden County Bar Association
- Board of Trustees – Trustee (May 2019 – May 2020)
- Young Lawyers Committee – Chair (May 2019 – May 2020); Member (June 2017 – Present)
- Cherry Hill High School West Mock Trial Team – Attorney Advisor (2016 – 2019)
New Jersey Lawyer Magazine "Bail Reform," Editor, 2019
- "Unpacking Privilege and a Conversation on Intersectionality," October 9, 2020.
- "Hot Topics in Criminal Law," July 30, 2020.
- "Ethics in an Epidemic," June 25, 2020.
- "Thriving in the Law as a Millennial: A Unique CLE Roundtable Designed to Help You to Advance Your Career," January 11, 2020.
- "Making the Switch: When, Where, Why and How to Transition from Public to Private Practice and Vice Versa," January 7, 2020 (Moderator).
- "Coach, I’m Ready. Put Me in the Game," May 17, 2019.
- "What I Wish I Knew," May 15, 2019.
Appointments and Community Service
- KIPP-NJ Young Leadership Committee, Member, August 2019 – Present
- New Leaders Council, 2019 Fellow
- Saint Peter’s Preparatory School Alumni Board, Member, January 2015 – January 2018
- Eagleton Institute of Politics Alumni Advisory Committee, Member, August 2014 – Present
- Commission on Higher Education, Voting Member (Governor Appointee), July 2008 – June 2009