Risa M. Chalfin is an associate and a trial attorney in Wilentz’s Business and Commercial Litigation group. Risa’s litigation practice is focused on a wide range of complex business litigation matters before state, Chancery, and federal courts.
Her depth of practice in the Chancery division permits her to serve regularly as a trusted advocate in matters arising from partnership and shareholder disputes, restrictive covenants, and probate litigation. She manages contentious matters for large businesses involving breaches of fiduciary duties, contractual dispute, real estate litigation, construction-defect issues, legal malpractice, and fraud.
Risa has extensive experience as a trial lawyer and her approach to litigation and conflict resolution is informed by her experience and her ability to guide clients to the most efficient way forward for resolving disputes. In the United States, very few civil lawsuits result in a trial on the merits. If there is a possibility that a case may be resolved by trial, however, one may want to do what he or she can to stack the odds favorably. Risa is also adept in negotiating thoughtful and equitable pre-trial resolutions and securing motions to dismiss.
Since 2015, Risa has been ranked as a “Rising Star” by New Jersey Super Lawyers.
Risa sits on the firm’s Political Contributions committee, advising members and clients as to the implications of contributions in accordance with local and state pay-to-play ordinances. She is also actively engaged in the Middlesex County legal community, serving as Trustee and member of Young Lawyers Committee for the Middlesex County Bar Association since 2013. A leader in her alumni network, Risa serves as Co-Administrative Vice President of her class and interviews prospective students for the University of Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining the firm, Risa served as a law clerk to the Honorable Glenn Berman, Chancery Division of the New Jersey Superior Court. During her term, Judge Berman presided over the highly publicized State v. Ravi trial, which addressed the issue of bias intimidation and cyber bullying of Rutgers University students. While attending law school, Risa interned for the Honorable Barry T. Albin, Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, New York County Defender Services, and the National Football League.
- New Jersey State Bar Association ICLE, January 27, 2016, “Accounting for Lawyers”
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation, October 13, 2015, “Celebration of Magna Carta’s 800th Anniversary"
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation, May 1, 2015, Law-Related Education Conference, “Magna Carta”
- Middlesex County Bar Association CLE, November 18, 2014, “10 Ways That Attorneys Kill Their Own Experts”
- Middlesex County Bar Association CLE, June 10, 2013, “How to be a Young Lawyer and Excel in the Profession”
- Middlesex County Bar Association CLE, June 11, 2012, “Demystifying Chancery Practice”
- Middlesex County Bar Association CLE, May 21, 2012, “Professionalism for Young Lawyers”
- “Registration To Do Business In A State Is Not Enough To Establish General Jurisdiction Over A Law Firm,” ABA, November 2017
- “Law Firm Organized As A Limited Liability Partnership Has No Obligation To Maintain Professional Malpractice Insurance During Law Firm’s Period Of Dissolution And Windup Of Affairs,” ABA Lawyers’ Professional Liability eAdvisory, July 2016
- Matter of Legato, Kenyon and Walter, 229 N.J. 173 (2017)
- Powerhouse First, LLC v. Waldo Jersey City, LLC, 2016 WL 3503150 (App. Div. June 28, 2016)
- Tried to verdict and obtained judgment in its entirety for large real estate developer on breach of contract matter.
- Defended ex-CEO of bankrupt hospital in a multi-million dollar claim against directors and officers.
- Successfully brought and defended estate litigation matters and will contests by way of order to show cause.
- Successfully defeated multiple petitions for certification before the Supreme Court to uphold Appellate Court decisions.
- Spearheaded review of large e-discovery document review, responsible for coordinating multi-firm efforts bringing both efficiency and effectiveness to the process.
Also of Interest
- July 30, 2018 Risa Chalfin to Present at NJICLE Seminar on Practical Advice for Lawyers
- March 29, 2018 44 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- November 6, 2017 Middlesex County Chancery Practice Manual, 2017 Edition
- November 6, 2017 Risa Chalfin to Serve as Panelist at Middlesex County Bar Association Chancery Practice Dinner CLE