Jim Tonrey is a member of Wilentz’s Business and Commercial Litigation group. He has experience managing a broad range of litigation including breach of contract, restrictive covenant, false advertising and consumer fraud, trade secret and securities litigation.
Mr. Tonrey has obtained a number of significant victories for his clients across a wide variety of matters:
- Secured a directed verdict at trial in the Superior Court of New Jersey for a telephone answering service provider, defeating a claim by a physician that he did not receive notice of a call from a distressed patient.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing a complaint by a former client of a real estate agency, who alleged discrimination by the agency in violation of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.
- Successfully defended a physician against a lawsuit by his former employer against claims that the physician had breached a restrictive covenant in his employment agreement by opening his own medical practice.
- Obtained dismissal of class action claims against a New Jersey-based supermarket chain alleging consumer fraud in labeling of products as “fat free.”
- Served as second chair at trial in a lawsuit brought by a client biotechnology company alleging a competitor stole trade secrets concerning gene synthesis. The jury awarded the client over $10 million in damages after trial.
- Successfully defended a shareholder of a closely held company against oppressed shareholder claims by co-shareholders, resulting in the break-up of the company and the client establishing his own successful business.
Mr. Tonrey also frequently serves as local counsel for out-of-state counsel litigating cases in federal and state courts in New Jersey, including the defense of class action securities litigation, pharmaceutical litigation, breach of contract and unfair competition cases.
Mr. Tonrey is active in professional legal associations and serves the communities where he lives and practices law. He is a past Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Federal Practice and Procedure Section and recently completed a term as a member, then Chair of a District VIII Fee Arbitration Panel. The New Jersey Supreme Court recently appointed him to serve on the District VIII Ethics Committee.
Mr. Tonrey serves as a volunteer for the New York City Parks Department, in particular with respect to the development of FreshKills Park on Staten Island, which is expected to become one of the largest parks in New York City.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Tonrey had the privilege of serving as law clerk to U.S. District Judge Harold A. Ackerman (1995–1997) and U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stephen A. Stripp (1994– 1995). His clerkships have afforded him unique insight in representing his clients in private practice.
Also of Interest
- August 7, 2018U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York Appoints Wilentz as Co-lead Counsel in Securities Class Action Case
- January 17, 2018Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A. and The Cherundolo Law Firm, PLLC Announce Filing of Second Amended Class Action Complaint on Behalf Of Purchasers of Securities From Gregory W. Gray, Jr., Gregory P. Edwards and Related Entities
- March 13, 201746 Wilentz Attorneys Selected to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- March 10, 201646 Attorneys at Wilentz Selected to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars