Douglas Watson Lubic is the Managing Shareholder of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A’s Eatontown office and has been a Shareholder in the firm’s Corporate team for more than 20 years. Mr. Lubic serves as a corporate advisor to a broad spectrum of public and private businesses throughout Monmouth County in their day-to-day operations and in all aspects of their business transactions. Mr. Lubic’s clients rely on him for responsive, practical legal advice for the full spectrum of their business concerns, including: succession planning and changes in ownership, acquisitions and sales, contracts, compliance with local and state laws, financial transactions, leases, real estate, employee matters and disputes. Most recently, Mr. Lubic has responded to client needs by advising on the intricacies of Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans and forgiveness.
Through his technical competence and ability to help clients define and achieve their business goals, Mr. Lubic has earned their respect and loyalty, and maintains many long term business relationships. He has served as local counsel for national corporations and international firms, both on deal-specific matters and for more general consultations. In addition to his personal attention and availability, Mr. Lubic offers clients with mid-sized to small businesses the competence of all of the firm’s lawyers to handle their business and personal legal affairs.
Mr. Lubic advises startup and established businesses on negotiation and drafting for business mergers, acquisitions, roll-up mergers and other sales, and restructurings, whether driven by business reasons or by divorce, estate, or litigation matters; generational ownership transitions; owner buy-ins and buy-outs; operating and shareholders agreements; and transfers of business stock and/or assets generally.
Should the need arise, Wilentz has a highly respected business litigation team that clients may draw on in the negotiation of business disputes with other businesses or among owners. Mr. Lubic also works with the firm’s employment law team in the negotiation and drafting of employment, severance, confidentiality, non-compete and management agreements. He also has extensive experience working with banks and private lenders in secured transactions, including commercial real estate finance, equipment leasing, and asset-based loans.
Other areas of Mr. Lubic’s practice include:
- Paycheck Protection Program loans and forgiveness, including advising clients on affiliation issues and forgiveness strategies
- Liquor license transfers and regulatory compliance
- Restaurant and bar purchase, sale, and operation
- Automobile dealership consolidation, purchase and sale together with associated real estate purchases, sales and leases
- Acquisition and sale of commercial real estate and associated land use, environmental and financing concerns
- Franchise acquisition and operations, involving review of franchise agreement and counselling during franchise relationship
- Medical practice purchase, sale and operation for physicians, physical therapists, pharmacists, psychologists and other medical professionals; and the restructure of existing practices to ensure compliance with evolving law and regulations
- Technology companies and start-ups in communications, software design, materials science, engineering and specialty manufacturing. Mr. Lubic’s avocational interests in scientific and technological developments deepen his understanding of the technical aspects of these businesses to more effectively represent the full scope of the client’s legal needs
Mr. Lubic is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Monmouth County Bar Association, and the American Health Lawyers Association. He earned his undergraduate degree at Princeton University cum laude, and his law degree at Vanderbilt University Law School, where he served as associate editor of The Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law. He and his wife have been Middletown residents for over 29 years.
Also of Interest
- February 12, 2021Wilentz Attorneys to Serve as Panelists at NJICLE Webcast “A Practical Guide to Buying a Business”
- January 22, 2021Paycheck Protection Program Simplified Forgiveness Application Released
- January 15, 2021Paycheck Protection Program Extended for Second Round of Financing
- October 7, 2020New Guidance from Small Business Administration on Purchase and Sale Transactions Involving PPP Borrowers