Gordon Golum is a shareholder in the Administrative Law and Real Estate practice groups at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., focusing on administrative law, governmental affairs, school law, and commercial leases. He represents both landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions and disputes.
Prior to joining Wilentz in 1974, Mr. Golum was a Deputy Attorney General of the State of New Jersey (1970-1974), serving as section chief of the Education and Public Employment Section, Division of Law, Department of Law and Public Safety, State of New Jersey (1972-1974) as well as representing the New Jersey Department of Education with respect to all matters.
Mr. Golum has long experience representing public bodies and individuals before various governmental agencies, including professional boards (e.g. Board of Medical Examiners), the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency, the Division of Purchase and Property in the State Department of the Treasury (e.g. bidding and contract disputes), State Department of Labor, State Department of Education, and the Division on Civil Rights. Mr. Golum’s representation of public clients has included serving as Counsel to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and Brookdale Community College. In representing governmental bodies and appearing before governmental bodies on behalf of clients, he has developed extensive experience with such bodies in respect to negotiations, contracts, disputes, administrative hearings and appellate practice.
In connection with his real estate practice, Mr. Golum is experienced in all aspects of commercial lease transactions and has been involved in numerous and substantial lease transactions. He has prepared and negotiated long-term ground leases, leases for office buildings, retail stores, including space in shopping centers, industrial and warehouse buildings, and gas stations. He has also negotiated and provided legal advice in respect to lease disputes.
Mr. Golum served twelve (12) years as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on the Unauthorized Practice of Law, concluding his membership in December 2018.
Representative Case: In re Xanadu Project at Meadowlands Complex, 415 N.J. Super. 179 (App. Div.) certif. den. 205 N.J. 96 (2010).
- "Eviction of the Residential Tenant by the Commercial Landlord," Middlesex Advocate 26, No. 6, Middlesex County Bar Association, February 2012
- "Legal Issues Do Not End With Commercial Lease Execution Clauses Controlling Post-Execution Issues Deserve Special Attention During Negotiations," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 2009
- "Pay-to-Play in New Jersey: An update on state and local requirements," New Jersey Lawyer, November 10, 2008
- "Don't Count on Equitable Relief," New Jersey Law Journal, January 17, 2005
- "Negotiating Assignment and Sublease Provisions in Commercial Leases," New Jersey Law Journal, April 5, 2004
- "HIPAA Privacy Rule Impacts Lawyers Across the Board," New Jersey Law Journal Supplement for Health Care Law, 174 N.J.L.J. 970, December 15, 2003
- Representation of Middlesex County College in a labor arbitration matter involving the labor contract with the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees Union – Local 2269. This also involved an application to PERC and to the Superior Court of New Jersey to enjoin the arbitration.
- Representation of North Haledon Board of Education in a Public Employment Relations Commission matter, resulting in dismissal of an unfair practice filed against the Board of Education.
- Representation of Middlesex County College in a proceeding before an arbitrator involving a dispute over pay with the Fraternal Order of Police.
Also of Interest
- August 18, 2022The Best Lawyers in America Names 44 Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer Attorneys in 25 Practice Areas to 2023 List
- September 19, 2019Wilentz Represents Premier Urology Group in its Partnership with New Jersey Urology Partners
- July 16, 2019Negotiating the Commercial Lease
- March 29, 201843 Wilentz Attorneys Named to New Jersey Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists