Key Contact : Tracy Armstrong
In light of the rapidly evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we are working with employers to help them address new challenges they are facing, especially those connected to the health and safety of their employees, restarting their operations, and navigating a new, rapidly evolving regulatory landscape.
We are fielding and advising on a range of situations and challenges, including:
- Should employers test for COVID-19?
- What steps should an employer take if an employee tests positive for COVID-19?
- How do employers bring workers back safely?
- What options are available for reducing the workforce?
- As an employer, am I eligible for tax credits or social security tax deferral?
- What policies should be adopted and communicated to comply with new coronavirus-related reforms?
- If your employee is out sick or caring for a family member, can and how does the employee get paid and must the employer hold the employee’s job?
- Do you have a notice obligation under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act to provide 60 days advance notice to your employees prior to a plant closing or mass layoff resulting from unforeseeable business circumstances?
- What can you do about your employees’ health insurance?
As legislation continues to be issued and these and other concerns continue to unfold, we encourage you to subscribe to our legal alerts to get new notifications sent directly to your inbox. If you have a pressing concern, contact Tracy Armstrong.
Alerts and Publications:
- Employers May Shorten “Interactive Process” Concerning Accommodation Requests by Employees with Disabilities During the Public Health Crisis (June 1, 2020)
- Employer Update: Does Your Policy (and Handbook) Comply with the Expanded Coverage of the New Jersey Family Leave Law? (May 15, 2020)
- Employer FAQ: Will PPP Loan Forgiveness Be Reduced if an Employee Declines to Return to Work? (May 12, 2020)
- CDC Issues Updated COVID-19 Guidance for Employers (May 10, 2020)
- Employer FAQ: Can PPP Loan Funds Be Applied to Pay Employees Under Families First Coronavirus Response Act (May 8, 2020)
- An Alternative for Employers to Reducing the Workforce: New Jersey’s Shared Work Program (May 6, 2020)
- Public Schools and Approved Private School for Students with Disabilities Now Authorized to Provide Remote or Virtual Instruction During Health Emergency (April 28, 2020)
- Employers May Test Employees for COVID-19 According to New Guidance from EEOC (April 27, 2020)
- New Jersey Family Leave Act Expands Job Protection During Health Emergencies (April 24, 2020)
- Employers Update: DOL Announces Stay Period for Families First Coronavirus Response Act Violations has Ended (April 20, 2020)
- Guidance for Employers Concerning Employees Returning to Work After COVID-19 (April 17, 2020)
- Steps an Employer Should Take if an Employee Tests Positive for COVID-19 (April 16, 2020)
- New Jersey’s Mini-WARN Act Modified in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic (April 16, 2020)
- An Employer's Guide to Reporting Cases of COVID-19 in the Workplace (April 14, 2020)
- CARES Act Offers Eligible Employers Employee Retention Tax Credits and Social Security Tax Deferrals (April 9, 2020)
- Eligibility for Payroll Tax Credit Under Families First Coronavirus Response Act: A Checklist for Employers (April 7, 2020)
- Guidance for Employers Concerning Control and Prevention of Coronavirus in the Workplace Issued by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (April 7, 2020)
- Unemployment Benefits Now Available for Self-Employed Workers Under the CARES Act (April 6, 2020)
- Department of Labor Issues Temporary Paid Leave Regulation Under Families First Coronavirus Response Act (April 3, 2020)
- Eligible Employers Affected by COVID-19 Can Access Employee Retention Credit Under CARES Act (April 2, 2020)
- Small Business Exemptions Under Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act and Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act (March 31, 2020)
- CARES Act Expands Unemployment Insurance Benefits for Workers Affected by COVID-19 (March 30, 2020)
- Department of Labor Clarifies Definition of "Health Care Provider" under Families First Coronavirus Response Act (March 30, 2020)
- Employers Must Comply with WARN Acts During COVID-19 Pandemic (March 27, 2020)
- Federal Relief Available for Businesses Subject to COVID-19 Legislation (March 26, 2020)
- What Employers Should Know About the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (March 26, 2020)
- Small Business Owners May Find Financial Relief Through Coronavirus Stimulus Bill (March 26, 2020)
- OSHA Compliance Guidance for Employers During the COVID-19 Pandemic (March 25, 2020)
- Understanding Payment Calculations Under The New Federal Paid Sick Leave and FMLA (March 23, 2020)
- New Jersey and New York Limit In-Person Workforce to Essential Businesses (March 23, 2020)
- President Trump Signs Expanded Family and Medical Leave Act in Response to Coronavirus (March 20, 2020)
- Will Business Interruption Insurance Cover The Closure Of Your Business Due To COVID-19? (March 19, 2020)
- New Jersey Department Of Labor: COVID-19 Scenarios and Employment Benefits Available (March 18, 2020)
- What Is An Employer To Do About Coronavirus? (March 11, 2020)